Recycle your cardboard toilet roll tubes with this creepy craft project. Why not make it a family activity? It’s perfect for kids of all ages (you can pre-cut the features for really young children) and a great way to spend time together developing new skills.
You will need:
- Cardboard tubes from toilet rolls
- Water-based paints (we like orange, green, purple, black and white!)
- Coloured paper and card
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Marker Pens
- Glue stick or PVA glue
- Start by painting the cardboard tubes. (You may want to put some old newspaper down to stop the table getting mucky!)
- Whilst they dry, it’s time to make your freaky features! These could be flappy bats’ wings, pointy witches’ hats, creepy cats’ whiskers, monster arms and legs – whatever you can think of! Draw the features onto your coloured paper or card. Then cut them out carefully using safe scissors.
- Once the paint on the cardboard tubes has dried, stick your features onto the tubes with a glue stick or PVA glue.
- Use a marker pen to add smaller details such as ghostly mouths, witches’ noses or monster snarls.
- Stick on your googly eyes.
- Finally, glue on pipe cleaners for spider legs or cats’ tails.
- Put your finished masterpieces up around your house to make the trick-or-treaters tremble! Or you could use them as finger puppets for a spooktacular performance.